Sunday 25 April 2021

EBAY FAKE TORSION BARS = REAR SUSPENSION FAILURE 128173 MILES

 The suspension had been getting lower and lower so I decided now the weather has improved I would rotate the torsion bars at the rear to raise it back up.

I made a tool to pre-tension the torsion bars.

An extension bar is needed to twist the rod ONE spline ! (about 10 degrees)
While maintaining torque, hammer in the torsion rod!
Other side being done
Hand made tool and slot cut in end of torsion bar.
Close up of tool
Tool and M8 studding + M8 nut
End of tool

Damper MUST be disconnected !
Replace washers
Rod in position tool removed
Now the SAD bit. After refitting the dampers and road wheels , I had gained 2 inches of lift at the rear. However after driving over some speed humps the bars twisted and I lost about 4 inches at the rear!

The torsion bars were sourced from EBAY and are clearly not high carbon steel. They are just mild steel hence the price £32 each. WARNING they are NO GOOD they are soft steel and cant be hardened. The genuine ones are £300 a set and I am going to order them. Don't waste your time on cheap ones on EBAY !

No comments:

Post a Comment